Welcome!!!

~Welcome to my blog~
This blog will be a reflection on the exciting events and activities that occur in Miss Miller's 2nd grade class!!!
Please feel free to post comments! ENJOY!!!

Friday, May 11, 2012

A Funky Twist in Social Studies

This quarter in Social Studies we have learned about how cotton is used to make clothes. We have studied the process of picking the cotton, to transforming it into shirts, dresses, sheets, etc.. To incorporate a fun activity into our learning we decided to tie dye our t-shirts. We learned about how cotton is white and has to be dyed different colors to get the desired look. This activity was perfect!!! We will be able to wear our funky tie dyed t-shirts to field day and upcoming field trips. I can't wait to see how they turn out!!!

3 comments:

  1. This is a great closing activity for your unit. I'm sure the students really enjoyed the activity. I tie dyed with my kindergarten students one year and I ended up doing most of the work!!! I'm sure your 2nd graders were completly involved in the activity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always great for students to have a hands on project. I like the fact that you learned about the process and then the kids made it. I am sure that they are really excited to wear them on field day and they will once again be reminded of what they learned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe Shannon this makes me miss second grade so much :( I'm jealous! I miss 2nd grade standards :)

    ReplyDelete