Welcome!!!

~Welcome to my blog~
This blog will be a reflection on the exciting events and activities that occur in Miss Miller's 2nd grade class!!!
Please feel free to post comments! ENJOY!!!

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Learning about time!!!

My class is currently learning to tell time. We have been working on this skill for about two weeks. Time is a very tough skill to teach to 2nd graders. We have been focusing on telling time in 5 minute intervals. This concept hasn't been too bad. As long as they know which hand is the minute hand and which is the hour hand, then they do much better.

The hardest concept is using terms like quarter til, quarter after and half past. For some reason this is concept is almost impossible for 2nd graders to understand. This has been such a struggle for everyone. I have tried many different strategies, but it is just not working as well as I had hoped.

This is the last week we have to focus only on time. I plan to continue teaching time when possible throughout the year. Next we are tackling money. This should be interesting. Wish me luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment